PEPS PhD Program - Entomology
Intended candidates for the PhD program should have earned the MS degree in entomology or equivalent from a recognized institution. Those with a BS or BA may petition for admittance into the PhD program only after enrolling in the MS program.
The goal of the PhD program is to have students possess broad general knowledge in all areas of entomology, in-depth knowledge in at least one area of specialization and develop the capability for independent research. Employment options for PhD graduates are in teaching, research, and extension at universities and in research, consulting or management with private industries and government agencies.
Expected student learning outcomes are:
- Acquire and demonstrate competency/skills as a biologist
- Acquire and demonstrate entomological knowledge necessary for professional success
- Acquire and demonstrate communication and literacy skills
- Demonstrate the ability to apply creative and critical thinking in the independent development and conduct of research
- 3 credit hours of PEPS 690 Seminar in Entomology.
- 2 credit hours of PEPS 799 Proposal/Defense Seminar (CR/NC).
- 1 credit hour of PEPS 800 Dissertation Research during semester of graduation.
- Additional course work as determined by the doctoral advisory committee.
- Oral, or oral and written comprehensive examination administered by the doctoral committee.
- Final oral defense of the dissertation research and submission of an acceptable dissertation.