Undergraduate students enter CTAHR’s academic programs either as freshmen or as transfer students.
Admissions of Freshmen
To enter as a freshman:
- Apply to the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa by declaring a CTAHR major and filling out a System Admissions Application Form prior to the published deadline. A $70 nonrefundable application fee is also required.
- Admissions to UHM will be determined after a review of applicant’s high-school transcripts, SAT-I or ACT test scores, high-school ranking, and recommendations.
- CTAHR determines admittance into program majors after the review by the UHM Admission’s Office.
Admissions of Transfer Students
Students can transfer into CTAHR from other departments within the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa or from other academic institutions.
To transfer into CTAHR from an institution outside the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa:
- Apply to the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa by declaring a CTAHR major.
- Be admitted by the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and CTAHR.
- Requirements for admission to most of CTAHR's undergraduate academic programs are the same as for admission to UH Mānoa. As of June 3, 2008, the minimum GPA required by UH Mānoa for admission of transfer students is 2.0. Please refer to the UH Mānoa Admissions and Records website for current information.
- The transfer GPA requirements for some undergraduate CTAHR programs are more stringent than the UH Mānoa minimum transfer GPA.
--Fashion, Design, and Merchandising (FDM): 2.5 minimum transfer GPA
--Natural Resources and Environmental Management (NREM): 2.5 minimum transfer GPA
--Family Resources (FAMR): 2.6 minimum transfer GPA
--Food Science and Human Nutrition (FSHN): 2.8 minimum transfer GPA
--FDM, NREM, FAMR, and FSHN may also require transfer students to have completed specific courses prior to admission. Please contact these programs for additional information.
To transfer into CTAHR from within the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa:
- Meet with the faculty advisor for undergraduates in the prospective CTAHR major to explore career options, discuss required coursework, and verify that your GPA meets the minimum required for transfer. If you are eligible to transfer, the faculty advisor will provide you a transfer permission form.
- Take the transfer permission form and a copy of your transcript or most recent grade report to the CTAHR Academic and Student Affairs Office (Gilmore 210).
- Complete the forms required for transfer. The CTAHR Academic and Student Affairs Office will verify your GPA.
For Students from other colleges at UHM who wish to transfer to CTAHR:
- The student must meet with the undergraduate advisor of the prospective major.
- The undergraduate advisor and the student explore career options available in the field, discuss the kind of coursework required, and verify the minimum GPA to transfer.
- The advisor sends the student to CTAHR Academic and Student Affairs Office (Gilmore 210) with a "Permission to Transfer" form.
- Student completes additional paperwork to complete the transfer process.
At the time they enter CTAHR, graduate students must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university or its equivalent from a recognized foreign institution of higher learning. The admission requirements for CTAHR’s graduate programs can be found at the following websites:
Admission decisions are made by the Graduate Division in consultation with faculty in the field of study.