Did you know that...
- Unlike most fruits, pears ripen
better off the tree.
- Figs provide more fiber than
any other common fruit or vegetable.
- British sailors used to be called
"Limeys" because they ate citrus fruits to prevent scurvy on long
- Some Chinese varieties of peaches
are flat like donuts.
- Strawberries are the only fruit
that have their seeds on the outside.
- Bell peppers can be green, red,
yellow, orange or purple.
- Yams and sweet potatoes are not
- Many of the nutrients in a potato
are located just below the skin.
- Hawaii is the leading producer
of bananas in the U.S.
- Lychee trees can live for more
than 100 years.
- The first carrots were white,
purple and yellow.
- Ancient Greeks awarded celery
to winners of sports events.
- Broccoflower is a cross between
cauliflower and broccoli. It has more vitamin C than oranges and more vitamin
A than either broccoli or cauliflower.
Reference: USDA Website
Back to Home