Last updated on Wednesday, October 5, 2016
Make updates ->
Name : Kyle Caires
Unit : Department of Human Nutrition, Food & Animal Sciences
Office : Kahului Extension Office
Address : 310 Kaahumanu Ave., Bldg. 214
Kahului, HI 96732
Phone : (808)244-3242, ext. 232
E-mail : email@example.com
Professional Prep/Appointments :
B.S. Animal Science, Oregon State University, 2005
M.S. Reproductive Physiology, Washington State University, 2007
Ph.D. Stem Cell Biology, Washington State University, 2011
As an animal scientist, I conduct research with agricultural & biomedical applications, and strive to provide extension programming that supports livestock producers and youth involved in 4H livestock programs. I am thankful for the friendships and collaborations maintained with other scientists, industry stakeholders, and livestock producers in Hawaii, the USA and abroad.
Research Interests :
- Reproductive Physiology, Stem Cell Development
- Quantitative and Molecular Genetics, Genetic Improvement of Livestock
- Sustainable Livestock Production and Management Practices
Selected Publications :
- Caires, KC. Reproductive success in ruminants: A complex interaction among endocrine, metabolic, and environmental factors. Journal of Animal Science. 2015, 93. doi: 10.2527/jas2015-9045.
- Kitts-Morgan SE, Caires KC, Bohannon LA, Parsons EI, Hilburn KA. Free-ranging farm cats: home range size and predation on a livestock unit in northwest georgia. PLoS One. 2015 Apr 20;10(3):e0120513. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0120513.
- McSpadden K, Caires K, Zanella R. 2013. The effect of Mycobaterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis exposure on Animal Health. Acta Scientiae Veterinaria, 41(1095)
- Caires KC, de Avila J, McLean DJ. Endocrine regulation of spermatogonial stem cells in the seminiferous epithelium of adult mice. Bio Res Open Access. 2012 Oct;1(5):222-30. doi: 10.1089/res.2012.0259.
- Caires KC, Shima CM, de Avila J, McLean DJ. Acute ethanol exposure affects spermatogonial stem cell homeostasis in pre-pubertal mice. Reprod Toxicol. 2012 Jan;33(1):76-84. doi: 10.1016/j.reprotox.2011.12.002. Epub 2011 Dec 14.
- Caires KC, de Avila JM, Cupp AS, McLean DJ. VEGFA family isoforms regulate spermatogonial stem cell homeostasis in vivo. Endocrinology. 2012 Feb;153(2):887-900. doi: 10.1210/en.2011-1323. Epub 2011 Dec 6.
- Caires K, Broady J, McLean D. Maintaining the male germline: regulation of spermatogonial stem cells. J Endocrinol. 2010 May;205(2):133-45. doi: 10.1677/JOE-09-0275. Epub 2010 Feb 10. Review.
- Caires KC, de Avila J, McLean DJ. Vascular endothelial growth factor regulates germ cell survival during establishment of spermatogenesis in the bovine testis. Reproduction. 2009 Oct;138(4):667-77. doi: 10.1530/REP-09-0020. Epub 2009 Jul 24.
- Caires KC, Schmidt JA, Oliver AP, de Avila J, McLean DJ. Endocrine regulation of the establishment of spermatogenesis in pigs. Reprod Domest Anim. 2008 Jul;43 Suppl 2:280-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0531.2008.01175.x
- Zanella R, Caires K. 2009. Charolês como base racial ao desencolvimento de uma nova raça mista em combinação com o Wagyu. Campo e Criação (article in Portuguese); http://www.campoecriacao.com.br/site/index.php?p=noticia&id=9948
- Caires K. 2005. OSU Young Cattlemen’s Association Update. Oregon Beef Producer, February Issue, p22-23.
- Caires K. 2005. College Leaders Educate Youth About the Beef Industry (solicited for Next Generation section). Angus Journal, April Issue, p58.
- Caires K. 2004. Beef Bowl 2004. Oregon Beef Producer, November Issue, p21.