Last updated on Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Make updates ->
Name : Joseph DeFrank
Title : Spec in Weed Sci
Unit : Department of Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences
Address : 3190 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Room : St. John 212C
Phone : (808)956-5698
Fax : (808)956-3894
E-mail : email@example.com
Website : http://www2.hawaii.edu/~defrenk
Specialties : Vegetables in gen.-Weed ManagementOrnamentals in gen.-Weed ManagementTurf in gen.-Weed ManagementGround Covers in gen.-Weed Management-Pesticide Application License (Cat. 10)
Professional Prep/Appointments :
Penns Cove Regional High School B.S., Rutgers (1977) M.S., Michigan State University (1979) Ph.D., Michigan State University (1983)
Ground cover establishment Weed control in newly established turf. Weed control in potted ornmentals. Weed control research for estblishment of native Hawaiian plants on roadways.
HORT 481 - Weed Science
Research Interests :
No-tillage farming Weed control in vegetable and ornamental crops, and turfs Ground covers in orchards. Estblishment of native Hawaiian plants on roadways.
Selected Recent Publications :
1. Brosnan, J.T., J. DeFrank, M. Woods and G. Breeden. 2009. Sodium Chloride Salt Applications Provide Effective Control of Sourgrass (Paspalum conjugatum Berg.) in Seashore Paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum Swartz.) Turf. Weed Technology: 23:251-256.
2. Brosnan, J.T., J. DeFrank, M.S. Woods and G.K. Breeden. 2009. Efficacy of Sodium Chloride Salt Applications for Control of Goosegrass (Eleusine indica L.) in Seashore Paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum Swartz) Turf. Weed Technology 23:179-183.
3. Brosnan, J.T., R.K. Nishimoto and J. DeFrank. 2008. Metribuzin-Resistat goosegrass (Elusine indica L.) in Bermudagrass (Cynodon spp. L.) turf. Weed Technology (22) No. 4:675-678.
4. Baldos, O.C., J. DeFrank and G. Sakamoto, 2009. Effect of pre and post emergence herbicide application timing on hydroseeded Fimbristylis cymosa. 2009 Hawaii Conservation Conference, Hawaii in a changing climate: ecological, cultural, economic and policy challenges and solutions, July 28-30, 2009. Hawaii Convention Center, Honolulu HI.
5. Baldos, O.C. and J. DeFrank. 2009. Screening of pre-emergence herbicides to improve roadside establishment of transplanted Sporobolus virginicus (L.) Kunth, a native Hawaiian grass. Abstract #91, pg 10. 21st Annual CTAHR Student Research Symposium, April 3-4, 2009. University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu.
6. Moata, M.R.S. and J. DeFrank. 2009. Utilization of piligrass (Heteropogon contortus) as a living mulch for cabbage (Brassica oleracea L. var. Capitata) production. Abstract #44, pg 5. 21st Annual CTAHR Student Research Symposium, April 3-4, 2009. University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu.