Last updated on Thursday, September 21, 2017
Make updates ->
Name : Rajesh Jha
Title : Associate Professor of Animal Nutrition
Unit : Department of Human Nutrition, Food & Animal Sciences
Address : 1955 East-West Rd.
Honolulu, HI 96822
Room : Ag Sciences Building 314H
Phone : (808)956-4122
Fax : (808)956-4024
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/rjha
Specialties : ANSC Graduate Chair, Animal Nutrition, Feed and Feed Additive Evaluation, Carbohydrate Metabolism, Gut Physiology and Health
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Animal Nutrition), University of Alberta, Canada (2009-2012)
PhD (Animal Science, Nutrition), University of Saskatchewan, Canada (2010)
MSc (Animal Science & Aquaculture), Wageningen University, The Netherlands (2006)
Diploma (Food and Nutrition Program Planning and Management), University of Philippines at Los Baños (2003)
BVSc & AH (Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry), Tribhuvan University, Nepal (1996)
Project 1: Alternative feedstuffs for sustainable animal and aquaculture farming (PI)
Project 2: Fiber and resistant starch fermentation to modulate gut physiology and health (PI)
Project 3: Early nutrition programing (In ovo and post-hatch feeding) in broilers (PI)
Project 4: Effect of feed additives (enzymes,
prebiotics and probiotics) on nutrient digestibility, growth performance
and gut health of pig, poultry and fish (PI)
Project 5: Developing pasture based poultry production in Hawaii (PI)
ANSC/FSHN 244, Comparative Nutrition
ANSC 321, Applied Animal Nutrition
ANSC 642, Advanced Animal Nutrition
FSHN 682, Topics in Nutritional Sciences
ANSC 499, Directed Study or Research
ANSC 699, Directed Research
FSHN 699, Directed Research
MBBE 699, Directed Research
Research Interests :
Feed and Feed Additive Evaluation, Carbohydrate Metabolism, Gut Physiology and Health
Selected Publications :
- J. D. Berrocoso, S. Yadav, and R. Jha (2017). Nitrogen-corrected apparent metabolizable energy value of macadamia nut cake for broiler chickens determined by difference and regression methods. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 234:65-71.
- A. K. Singh, J. D. Berrocoso, Y. Dersjant-Li, A. Awati, and R. Jha (2017). Effect of a combination of xylanase, amylase, and protease on growth performance of broilers fed low and high fiber diets. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 232:16-20.
- A. Mau, and R. Jha (2017). Aquaculture of two commercially important mollusks (Abalone and Limpet): Existing knowledge and future prospects. Reviews in Aquaculture (doi: 10.1111/raq.12190).
- A. M. Haygood, and R. Jha (2017). Strategies to modulate the intestinal microbiota of Tilapia (Oreochromis sp.) in aquaculture: a review. Reviews in Aquaculture (doi: 10.1111/raq.12162).
- U. P. Tiwari, and R. Jha (2017). Nutrients, amino
acid, fatty acid and non-starch polysachharide profile and in vitro
digestibility of macadamia nut cake in swine. Animal Science Journal, 88:1093-1099.
- B. J. Kerr, R. Jha, P. E. Urriola, and G. C. Shurson (2017). Nutrient composition, digestible and metabolizable energy content, and prediction of energy for animal protein by-products in finishing pig diets. Journal of Animal Science, 95:2614-2626.
- J. D. Berrocoso, R. Kida, A. K. Singh, Y. S. Kim, and R. Jha (2017). Effect of in ovo injection of raffinose on growth performance and gut health parameters of broiler chicken. Poultry Science, 96:1573-1580.
- U. P. Tiwari, and R. Jha (2016). Nutrient
profile and digestibility of tubers and agro-industrial coproducts
determined using an in vitro model of swine. Animal Nutrition, 2:357-360.
- R. Jha, and U. P. Tiwari (2016). Rapid techniques for feed evaluation: Scope and limitations. Proceedings
of New Zealand Poultry Industry Conference (Oct 4-5, 2016), Wellington,
New Zealand, 8:84-102.
- M.W. DuPonte, K. Cowell and R. Jha (2016). Banana silage: An alternative feed for swine. UH-CTAHR Cooperative Extension Service, LM-31:1-8.
- Y. S. Kim, G. Fukumoto, M. Stevenson, M. Thorne, and R. Jha
(2016). Carcass traits and tenderness of grass-fed beef from
sub-tropical pastures in Hawaii. Proceedings of 17th AAAP Animal Science
Congress (Aug 22-25, 2016), Fukuoka, Japan. pp. 1525-1529.
- B. Turano, U. P. Tiwari, and R. Jha (2016). Growth and nutritional evaluation of napier grass hybrids as forage for ruminants. Tropical Grasslands, 4(3):168-178.
- K. C. Surendra, R. Olivier, J. K. Tomberlin, R. Jha, and S. K. Khanal (2016). Bioconversion of organic wastes into biodiesel and animal feed via insect farming. Renewable Energy, 98:197-202.
- T. A. Woyengo, R. Jha, E. Beltranena, and R. T. Zijlstra (2016). In vitro digestion and fermentation characteristics of canola co-products simulate their digestion in the pig intestine. ANIMAL, 10:911-918.
- R. Jha and J. F. D. Berrocoso (2016). Dietary fiber and protein fermentation in the intestine of swine and their interactive effects on gut health and on the environment: A review. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 212:18-26.
- Y. S. Kim, G. Fukumoto, M. Stevenson, M. Thorne, and R. Jha (2015). Carcass traits and tenderness of Hawaii grass-fed beef. UH-CTAHR Cooperative Extension Service, LM-29:1-7.
- U. P. Tiwari and R. Jha (2015). Nutrient profile and in vitro digestibility of fresh and ensiled cassava in swine. Proceeding of the 3rd International Seminar on Animal Industry (Sept 17-18, 2015), Bogor, Indonesia. pp. 252-253.
- R. Jha, and J. D. Berrocoso (2015). Review: Dietary fiber utilization and its effects on physiological functions and gut health of swine. ANIMAL, 9:1441-1452.
- R. Jha, T. A. Woyengo, J. Li, M. R. Bedford, T. Vasanthan and R. T. Zijlstra (2015). Enzymes enhance degradation of the fiber-starch-protein matrix of distillers dried grains with solubles as revealed by a porcine in vitro fermentation model and microscopy. Journal of Animal Science, 93:1039-1051.
- U. P. Tiwari, B. Turano, and R. Jha (2014). Nutritional characteristics and in vitro digestibility by near-infrared spectroscopy of local and hybrid napiergrass varieties grown in rain-fed and irrigated conditions. Animal Production Science, 54:1775-1778.
- T. A. Woyengo, R. Jha, E. Beltranena, A. Pharazyn and R. T. Zijlstra (2014). Nutrient digestibility of lentil and regular- and low-oligosaccharide, micronized full fat soybean fed to grower pigs. Journal of Animal Science, 93:229-237.
- R. Jha, J. K. Htoo, M. G. Young, E. Beltranena, and R. T. Zijlstra (2013). Effect of increasing co-product inclusion and reducing dietary protein on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and jowl fatty acid profile of grower-finisher pigs. Journal of Animal Science, 91(5):2178-2191.
- R. T. Zijlstra, R. Jha., A. D. Woodward, J. Fouhse and T. A. T. G. van Kempen (2012). Invited review: Starch and fiber properties affect their kinetics of digestion and thereby digestive physiology in pigs. Journal of Animal Science, E-suppl. 90(4):49-58.
- R. Jha., A. Owusu-Asiedu, P. H. Simmins, A. Pharazyn and R. T. Zijlstra (2012). Degradation and fermentation characteristics of wheat co-products from flour milling in the pig intestine, studied in vitro. Journal of Animal Science, E-suppl. 90(4):173-175.
- R. Jha and P. Leterme (2012). Feed ingredients differing in fermentable fibre and indigestible protein content affect fermentation metabolites and faecal nitrogen excretion in growing pigs. ANIMAL, 6:603-611.
- R. T. Zijlstra and R. Jha (2012). Novel swine feeding programs to enhance competitiveness and pork differentiation: Feedstuffs and Carbohydrates. Advances in Pork Production, 23:227-232.
- R. Jha, D. N. Overend, P. H. Simmins, D. Hickling and R. T. Zijlstra (2011). Chemical characteristics, feed processing quality, voluntary feed intake, growth performance, and energy digestibility among wheat classes fed in pelleted diets fed to weaned pigs. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 170:78-90.
- R. T. Zijlstra, P. Regmi, L. Wang and R. Jha (2011). In vitro techniques to describe energy digestibility and kinetics of carbohydrate degradation of feedstuffs in pigs. Computerized Journal of Pig Production, 18 (3):174-176.
- R. Jha, J. Bindelle, A. Van Kessel and P. Leterme (2011). In vitro fibre fermentation of feed ingredients with varying fermentable carbohydrate and protein levels and protein synthesis by colonic bacteria isolated from pigs. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 165:191-200.
- R. Jha, J. Bindelle, B. Rossnagel, A. Van Kessel and P. Leterme (2011). In vitro evaluation of the fermentation characteristics of the carbohydrate fractions of hulless barley and other cereals in the gastrointestinal tract of pigs. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 163:185-193.
- R. Jha, J. Bindelle, B. Rossnagel, A. Van Kessel and P. Leterme (2010). In vitro fermentation characteristics for pigs of hulless barleys differing in β-glucan content. Livestock Science, 133:141-143.
- E. Avelar, R. Jha, E. Beltranena, M. Cervantes, A. Morales and R. T. Zijlstra (2010). The effect of feeding wheat distiller’s dried grain with solubles on growth performance and nutrient digestibility in weaned pigs. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 160:73-77.
- R. T. Zijlstra, M. Swift, L. Wang, P. Regmi, J. H. Helm and R. Jha (2010). Rapid methods for prediction of energy values of feedstuffs for pigs. Proceedings of Western Nutrition Conference (Sept 21-23, 2010), Saskatoon, SK, Canada. pp. 235-242.
- R. Jha, B. Rossnagel, R. Pieper, A. Van Kessel and P. Leterme (2010). Barley and oat cultivars with diverse carbohydrate composition alter ileal and total tract nutrient digestibility and fermentation metabolites in weaned piglets. ANIMAL, 4:724-731.
- R. Pieper, R. Jha, P. Leterme, B. Rossnagel, W. Souffrant and A. Van Kessel (2008). Effect of barley and oat cultivars with different carbohydrate compositions on the intestinal bacterial communities in weaned piglets. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 66:556-566.