Last updated on Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Make updates ->
Name : Andrew J. Kaufman
Title : Assoc Spec
Unit : Department of Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences
Address : 3190 Maile Way
Honolulu, HI 96822
Room : St. John 110A
Phone : (808)956-7958
Fax : (808)956-3894
E-mail : email@example.com
Website : http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/kaufmana
Professional Prep/Appointments :
• B.S., Ornamental Horticulture, Cal Poly S.L.O. (1992) • M.L.A., Landscape Architecture, University of Arizona (1998) • M.S., Sociology, Iowa State University (2000) • Ph.D., Horticulture, Washington State University (2004)
• The Potential of Green Roof Technologies for Hawaii. • Peoples’ Emotional and Physiological Responses to Green Roof Technologies. • The Aesthetic Qualities of Urban Forest and Natural Landscapes in Hawaii as Perceived by Native Hawaiians and Visitors. • Academic and Behavior Responses to Indoor Plants in High School Math Classes. • Peoples’ Emotional and Physiological Responses to Tropical Trees and Pruning Practices. • Identifying Alternative Ornamental Plants in Response to Hawaii's Invasive Species Issues.
• TPSS 350 Tropical Landscape Practices • TPSS 352 Landscape Architecture History and Theory • TPSS 353 Tropical Landscape Planting Design and Graphics Studio. • TPSS 667 Graduate Seminar: Human Issues in Horticulture: People-Plant Relationships.
Research/Academic Interests :
• People-Plant Interactions and Design Implications • Environment-Behavior Studies • Environmental Psychology • Fundamentals of Landscape Design & Planting Design • History and Theory of Landscape Architecture
Selected Publications :
• Kaufman, A., Adams, R., Cox, L. (In Press). A Tropical Paradise: Native Hawaiians and Visitors to Hawaii Landscape Perception of Aesthetic Qualities of the Urban Forest and Natural Landscapes of Hawaii In: C. A. Shoemaker, (Editor), Horticultural Practices and Therapy for Human Well-being. Acta Horticulturae xxx International Society for Horticultural Science. Pp. xxx
• Kaufman, A. J. and Lohr. V. I. (In Press). Does it Matter What Color Tree You Plant? In: E. Matsuo., (Editor), Acta Horticulturae International Society for Horticultural Science. Pp.xxx
• Kobayashi, K.D.; McEwen,J. and Kaufman, A.J. 2007. Ornamental Ginger,Red and Pink. Cooperative Extension Service, University of Hawaii at Manoa. Aug 2007, OF-37.
• Kaufman, A., Cox, L., Muira, T., Easterday, D. 2007. The Potential for Green Roofs in Hawaii. Cooperative Extension Service, University of Hawaii at Manoa. Feb.2007. RM-15.
• Cabugos, L., Kaufman, A.J., Cox, L.J., Miura, T., and Easterday, D. 2007. Feasibility of Rooftop Landscaping with Native Hawaiian Plants in Urban Districts of Hawai`i. Fifth Annual International Greening Rooftops for Sustainable Communities Conference Proceedings. GRHC. Minneapolis, MN.
• Kaufman, A.; Cox, L. J.; Muira, T.; Easterday, D. 2006. Feasibility of Green Roofs in Hawaii: A Source of Private and Public Benefits. Department of Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences, College of Tropical Agricultural and Human Resources. University of Hawai`i at Manoa. Report for the Hawaii State Legislature 2007 Session.
• Kobayashi, K.D. and Kaufman, A.J. 2006. Common Gardenia. Cooperative Extension Service, University of Hawaii at Manoa. May 2006, OF-32.
• Kaufman, A. J. and Lohr. V. I. 2004. Does Plant Color Affect Emotional and Physiological Responses to Landscapes? In: D. Relf, (Editor), Expanding Roles for Horticulture in Improving Human Well-Being and Life Quality. Acta Horticulturae 639. International Society for Horticultural Science. Pp. 229-233.
• Kaufman, A. J. and Lohr. V. I. 2002. Where the lawn mower stops: The social construction of alternative front yard ideologies. In: C. A. Shoemaker (Editor), Interaction by design: bringing people and plants together for health and well being (An international symposium). Iowa State Press. Pp. 291-300.
• Padgitt, S., Kaufman, A., and Petrzelka, P. 1999. Area Wide Pest Management of Corn Rootworm Progress Report. Iowa State Extension Unit report for Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) branch of the USDA.
• Lillywhite, J.; Kaufman, A.; Peter, G.; Sato, F.; Tate, J.L.; Tirmizi, S. N., and Gieske, J. A. 1998. More Than Just Another Dam project: Gaining Insights in Applied Sociology Through a Post Evaluation of the Lake Red Rock Study. Social Insight. Fall 1998, Volume 3. Pp. 18-24.
• Padgitt, S., Kaufman, A., and Imerman, E. 1998. Good Neighbors Project Progress Report. Iowa State University Extension report for Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) branch of the USDA.
• Kaufman, A. J., Gimblett, H.R., and Daniel, T.C. 1996. Benefits of Leisure: A Tool for Exploring the Human Dimension of Ecosystem Management. Proceedings of The Sixth International Symposium on Society and Natural Resource Management. Social Behavior, Natural Resources, and the Environment Conference. Penn State University.
• Kaufman, A. and Gimblett, H.R. 1995. Benefits of Leisure and GIS: A tool for Exploring the Human Dimension of Ecosystem Management. Proceedings of the Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture. Iowa State University.