Last updated on Monday, September 14, 2015
Make updates ->
Name : Selva Lewin-Bizan
Title : Assistant Professor, FamR & COF
Unit : Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
Address : 2515 Campus Road
Honolulu, HI 96822
Room : Kuykendall Annex 3
Phone : (808)956-2256
Fax : (808)956-9712
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Prep/Appointments :
2008 Ph. D. in Developmental Psychology, Boston College
2001 M. A. in social work, University of Chicago
1995 B.A. in social work,
Tel Aviv University
- The State of Fathers in the State of Hawaii (2014-2016). Funded by the Hawaii State Department of Human Services. A multi-faceted demography study about fathers in the state of Hawaii, including who these men are and the services available to them.
- Adolescents' Perceptions of their Fathers and Father Figures (2014-2015). Funded by the Hawaii State Department of Human Services. A qualitative study about how high-school students see their fathers and father figures.
- A Fatherhood Program in Hawaii: An Evaluation of its Effectiveness in Improving Parenting and Family Relationships (2013-2015). Funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Institute of Food and Agriculture. Examines impacts of a fatherhood program on men's parenting and co-parenting skills, behaviors, and attitudes.
- Mothers' and Fathers' Educational Involvement in the Middle-School Years (2013-2015). Internally funded at University of Hawaii. A longitudinal study on the predictors and consequences of parental educational involvement in early adolescence.
University of Hawaii at Manoa:
FamR 332 –
FamR 444 –
Contemporary Family Issues
PY 152 –
Human Development Practicum Seminar (Boston College)
Research Interests :
and father-child relationships
Evaluation research of fatherhood programs
youth development within the contexts of family, school, and economic resources
Selected Publications :
- Lewin-Bizan, S. (2015). 24/7 Dad in Hawai‘i: Sample, design, and preliminary results. http://www.fatherhood.org/free-resources/topic/evaluations
- Lewin-Bizan, S. (2015). The state of fathers in the state of Hawai‘i. Honolulu, HI: University of Hawai‘i, Center on the Family. http://humanservices.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/The-State-of-Fathers-in-the-State-of-Hawaii-FINAL-PDF.pdf
- Lerner, R., Lerner, J., Bowers, E., & Lewin-Bizan, S. (2012). Promoting the positive development of immigrant youth: Towards an applied developmental science research agenda. In A. Masten, K. Liebkind, & D. Hernandez (Eds.), Realizing the Potential of Immigrant Youth (pp. 307-323). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Coley, R., Lewin-Bizan, S., & Carrano, J. (2011). Does early paternal parenting promote low-income children's long-term cognitive skills? Journal of Family Issues, 32(11), 1522-1542.
- Coley, R., Carrano, J., & Lewin-Bizan, S. (2011). Unpacking links between fathers' antisocial behaviors and children's behavior problems: Direct, indirect, and interactive effects with harsh parenting. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 39(6), 791-804.
- Lerner, R., Lerner, J., Lewin-Bizan, S., Bowers, E., Boyd, M., Mueller, M., Schmid, K., & Napolitano, C. (2011). Positive youth development: Processes, programs, and problematics. Journal of Youth Development, 6(3), 40-63.
- Lewin-Bizan, S., Bowers, E., & Lerner, R. (2010). One good thing leads to another: Cascades of positive youth development among American adolescents. Development and Psychopathology, 22(4), 761-772.
- Lewin-Bizan, S., Doyle, A., Fay, K., Schmid, K., Lerner, J., & Lerner, R. (2010). Trajectories of positive and negative behaviors from early- to middle-adolescence. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39(7), 751-753.
- Lerner, R., Lewin-Bizan, S., & Alberts, A. (2010). Concepts and theories of human development: Historical and contemporary dimensions. In M. Bornstein & M. Lamb (Eds.), Developmental science: An advanced textbook (6th ed, pp. 3-49). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Urban, J., Lewin-Bizan, S., & Lerner, R. (2010). The role of neighborhood ecological assets and activity involvement in youth developmental outcomes: The impact of living in low asset neighborhoods. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39(7), 783-800.
- Urban, J., Lewin-Bizan, S., & Lerner, R. (2009). The role of neighborhood ecological assets and activity involvement in youth developmental outcomes: Differential impacts of asset poor and asset rich neighborhoods. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 30(5), 601-614.
- Lerner, R., von Eye, A., Lerner, J., & Lewin-Bizan, S. (2009). Exploring the foundations and functions of adolescent thriving within the 4-H Study of Positive Youth Development: A view of the issues. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 30(5), 567-570.