||Improving and Maintaining Water Quality in Kawa Stream
||June 2004 to December 2006
||Dr. Wenhao Sun
Marine AgriTech, Inc.
1188 Bishop Street, Ste., 2003
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 523-5517
Fax: (808) 526-9411
|Nonpoint source pollution is a serious problem impairing the
water quality of Kawa Stream, which flows into and impacts the
coastal environment of South Kaneohe Bay, are on the 303d list
of impaired waters.
||Restore and maintain the water quality of South Kaneohe Bay by
improving the water quality of Kawa Stream.
||• Design and construct 57 FPP (floating phytoremediation
platforms) units made of ground cover or heavy polyethylene sheet
supported by air-inflated plastic pipes and using cultivated akulikuli
• Coordinate and work with Castle High School to engage students in the
assessment of water quality.
• Conduct 2 public workshops on benefits of phytoremediation.
• Conduct a college-level lecture on phytoremediation.
• Reconnect Kawa Stream with Waikalua Loko to restore the fishpond in the
loko kuapa style.
|Pollutants of Concern:
||Nutrients, turbidity, and suspended solids
||Koolaupoko Watershed, island of Oahu
|Size of Project:
||3500 feet of Kawa Estuary
|Affected Water Bodies:
||Kawa Stream and South Kaneohe Bay
||• Photo documentation of selected portions of Kawa Stream
• Water quality monitoring data
• Plant biomass measurement data
• Video called “Clean Hawaii Water: Phytoremediation Works
• Curriculum on ahupuaa concept and fishpond restoration