1) Start with noninfected planting material.
2) Manage and completely control the watercress leafhopper in the watercress and in borders surrounding the field.
3) Aggressively rogue infected watercress plants.
4) Control all known alternate weed hosts of the phytoplasma.(list)
5) Do not transport watercress planting material outside of the Aiea-Waipahu watercress production area.
6) Backyard and new growers should not plant watercress unless they know that their planting material is free of the phytoplasma and leafhopper.